The Latest from UMNS and The United Methodist Reporter
- Click on image to view in full screen…. I was at camp where people LITERALLY said the word ‘literally’ in every sentence. It was literally a thing. It literally drove me crazy. I literally am posting this from an asylum. It is literally impossible to type from a straight jacket. PS – “Literally” has been ...
- Bishop John Schol of the Greater New Jersey Conference recently highlighted the latest vital congregations report which said that the goal of growing more “highly vital congregations” was seeing positive results. According to statistical comparisons between 2009 and 2012, the number of highly vital congregations in the United Methodist Church in the U.S. grew from 14.6% to 33.9%. What ...
- ERBIL, Iraq: (RNS) A day after most of Mosul’s Christians fled, Islamic State fighters stormed the fourth-century Mar Behnam Monastery near the city. They forced two priests, a monk, a guard and a few families taking refuge there to leave the Syriac Catholic compound. Like many Christians from Mosul, which lies in the province of Nineveh, ...
- Frank Schaeffer is the bull in your spiritual china shop. “Why I am an Atheist Who Believes in God” is challenging, upsetting, heartwarming, offensive, and fascinating.
- The Mission Chattanooga invites you to its south side Camp House location to explore areas of culture creation, contextualization, and what it means to be a Christian in the context of 21st century America.
- My parents had been selfless and generous, always planning ahead and making tough decisions with a spirit of grace, but I didn’t realize the full impact of their gift until years later after they were gone.
- MANILA, Philippines / GBOD – United Methodist young people from around the world have urged leaders of the denomination to “seek solutions that promote our global unity” and not be divided by issues such as homosexuality. The Global Young People’s Convocation & Legislative Assembly, attended by more than 300 youth, young adults, and observers, adopted the ...
- There is something radical about people coming together each week despite major differences of opinion and still calling one another brother and sister. Schism threatens that.
- WASHINGTON, D.C.: In response to the rise in unaccompanied migrant children crossing the U.S. border, the executive committee of the Council of Bishops has called on United Methodists across the connection to “pray, reflect and engage in acts of compassion.” According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, tens of thousands of unaccompanied minors have been ...
- DALLAS, Tx: Professor John R. (Jack) Levison has accepted an invitation from Southern Methodist University to serve as William Joseph Ambrose Power Professor of Biblical Hebrew and Old Testament Interpretation, effective January 1, 2015.
Permanent link to this article: http://methoblog.com/3_0/the-latest-from-the-methoblogosphere/