Original post at http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/blogspot/WUYV/~3/rkyKWORUvZo/the-new-10.html
Paul's Ten Rules:
1. Really love people. Beware of lust, or greed, or fear masquerading as love. Hate what is hurtful and harmful to others. Stand firm for goodness.
2. Let yourself be loved as well. Love is something that is shared. Give others more respect and dignity than they give you.
3. Do not be apathetic, but let the Spirit be aflame in you. Serve the Lord with enthusiasm.
4. Take joy, you have hope. Be patient and pray when hope seems lost.
5. See to the needs of others, even strangers and aliens.
6. Show mercy and grace to those who are mean to you. Do not curse bullies - bless them.
7. Live an empathetic life: party with those who party; mourn with those who mourn. Give people the gift of your presence.
8. Live in harmony with the world. Don't be a pig-headed know-it-all or prima donna. Remember that you are never as wise as you think you are.
9. Do not ever ever return bad for bad. Take the highest road you can reach.
10. To the best of your ability within the circumstances, be at peace.
If you focus on vengeance, you do not leave room for God to work in the offender, in the victim, or in you. What right do you have to steal judgement and punishment (or grace) from God? Give good for bad. If your enemy is hungry, if they are thirsty, care for their needs. Your being nice to nasty people is torture to them and takes away their fun! You will never, I repeat NEVER, defeat evil by doing evil! The only thing that takes badness down is goodness.
(Retelling of Romans 12:9-21)