Original Posting At http://thenakedalien.blogspot.com/2018/06/sermon-notes.html
This Sunday (6/24/18), I will be preaching, as I often do, from the Revised Common Lectionary: 1 Samuel 17:4-11 and 32-49; and Mark 4:35-41.
Jesus asked his team of heroes: Why are you so afraid – is your faith still too little?
Faith = Courage?
Superheroes are given superpowers – human heroes are given Spiritual Gifts. If Samson is Superman, who then is David?*
8 Simple Steps to Being a Hero:
1. Acknowledge fear (verse 32);
2. Beware of boxes (verse 33);
3. Self-assessment (verses 34-36);
4. Expect help (verse 37);
5. Do your thing (verse 38-39);
6. Focus on your strengths (verse 40);
7. Run towards trouble (verse 48); and
8. Break the rules (verse 49)!
Why are you so afraid – is your faith still too little? Don’t worry; you have more than enough – it only takes courage the size of a microscopic seed to be a hero!
Oops, I almost forgot a step:
9. Heroes use their gifts for others (the whole Bible).
*The answer, of course, is Batman.