A few interesting reads that are getting some fun traction worth checking out. We’ve got a little bit of everything going on in this list. I’d take the weekend to digest all these great postings.
- Hacking Christianity has been pulling together some great resources to look at our current chatter about schism. The schism talk has been hot and cold over the last year. Currently it is luke warm to cold, so its nice to get involved in thought without out everyone going bonkers. Check out Jeremy’s latest with the Schism and Oppressing the Minority & from earlier this week Schism, Plans for the UMC.
- The Bible and Homosexuality, Part 1 Jude & Orientation.. Oh boy!! Victor, who is an Elder in the UMC is breaking down some of the Old Testament scriptures in how they speak into our current conversations on homosexuality. You will have to go over and read what he has to say there to find out if you agree, disagree, or have a change of mind.
- What We Talk about When We Talk About Sex. So I’m not sure if all the sex blog postings I am reading this week have to do with the 50 Shades of Grey movie (which got a surprising, to me, decent review on NPR.. well, the first quarter of the movie did). But there is a lot of sex talk going on this week. Deborah has some honest questions and some excellent points when it comes to talk sex. For her that comes often with the college aged crowd. So empathize campus pastors.
- This Is Supposed To Hurt. Laura Patterson over at UMCLead has some really honest thoughts on race relations today after her local experience (in St. Louis) after the Michael Brown killing, protests, and riots. Tough questions to ponder what our own racism actually is.
- 5 American Habits I’ve Changed Since Working in Mozambique. Jumping off the totally serious into something a bit more lighthearted. Sarah highlights five things that she’s stopped doing, worrying, thinking, or ignoring since moving to Mozambique for a missional appointment.